As the Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will have the opportunity to develop a tomato harvesting robot through its entire life cycle; scope, design, manufacture, verification/validation, scale, and support. You will help deploy the systems onsite at partnered greenhouses across the globe and directly contribute to harvesting the produce you see on your grocery store shelves.
As part of Four Grower’s team, you will report to the Director of Hardware Engineering to bring robots from technical-proof-of-concept to full-scale production. This position will be production focused while still maintaining some R&D aspects. Duties include establishing DFMA practices, production planning, cost control, production planning, and vendor selection.
BS Degree in Senior Mechanical Engineering/ Electrical Engineering or related fields.
Needed Skills & Experience
- Integrated multiple motor families: Achieved scale using different motor and controller packages.
- CAD: Knowledge of CAD Modeling software (e.g. Solidworks, AutoCAD)
- Vendor Management: Managed vendor relationships and vetting them for scale.
- Production Planning: Planning the manufacturing infrastructure needed including facility needs, inventory systems, end of line testing, etc.
- Cost-Driven Design: Led the effort of taking a base design and reducing the production time and cost.
- Production: Manufactured profitable commercial robotic equipment at low quantities of 10 and 100.
- Environmentals: Has designed for outdoor and mobile robotics systems.
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Travel: required, ~10% with international travel
Benefits: 401k, Medical, Dental, Vision